From the Archives
Hughes County Historical Society
Schools of Holdenville
In 1901, the city passed a bond issue to build its first school building serving the students of Holdenville until the school board bought the building from the city in 1909. It was known as the "Old Building."
Our present high school was constructed n 1920-1921, at a cost of $ 106,000. There were twenty three rooms and an auditorium on the third floor that would seat 700 people. On January 6, 1930, fire destroyed most of the interior. The top story was removed and additions were constructed on each side of the building.
Although the physical plant of Holdenville High School has changed several times since the original school was built, the mission of the school has remained the same:High Standards, Quality Programs and Quality Education for the Young People of Holdenville.
This photo was taken in 1964 when the Wolverines were the State of Oklahoma Class "A" Football Champions
Scroll over the image to see the high school after the addition to the building following a fire in 1930.